Monday, December 20, 2010

Coming to a Close

And so we have reached the end!  I am amazed that the fall semester has wrapped up already and as we all finish up our last finals I am happy to look back on the progress I made in life drawing this semester.  I have come so far!  I can see so much improvement since the gesture and long timed drawings of the first half of the semester . My forms are more life-like, my gestures more dynamic.  Starting this class I would have told you that, no matter what I learned, I would be content with letting my life drawing career end at Life Drawing I.  But now that I am finished, and I see what progress I have made, I am interested to see where I can go from here.


Before now the human form had always been an area of hazy recollection.  It was something you always assumed you knew, I mean, you see the human body everyday.  But when asked to sit down and lay out the body like a map, I found myself completely lost.  Similar to how you may walk up and down the steps in your house daily, for years, but when someone asks you how many steps it contains, you find yourself a stranger in your own home.  And so I found myself a stranger in my own body.


Then slowly, lecture by lecture and sketch by sketch, I was reacquainted with my own body.  Now I can see the connections of the muscles and bones.  It is all very exciting.


If you are interested in seeing more of my work this semester you are welcome to visit my online portfolio HERE!

I have seen the most improvement in my contours.  Faces and hands are the areas that still need work.  I am very thankful I took this class and I hope that I may have the opportunity to take Life Drawing II in the future.

5 comments:

  1. Your linework is just beautiful! You use line variation very well, it's all so believable! I really like your quick gesture drawing. The form is so great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what Sharon has said, your line work is beautiful. I really enjoy the gesture drawing that you have posted as I can almost feel the body stretching to put the sock on...Beautiful! I can tell you improved throughout the semester. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The line work with variations in thin/thickness is lovely. It adds a lot of character and depth, that makes your work strong. Especially in the second drawing around the chest and in minor details such as the ankle area and abdomen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie, you did such a great job on using different line weights and variations. It looks sooo realistic! I really enjoy all of your work. nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone! Your kind words are very motivating and get me excited to improve on faces and hands! :D

    ReplyDelete