Monday, December 6, 2010

Time to Get in GEAR!!

The semester is coming to a close and suddenly we find ourselves with a heap of work.  One of the nice things about life drawing is that, on the whole, most of the work was achievable in class with only an average hour or two on the weekends.  I am realizing the reason that is is because there is now suddenly about a hundred pages of muscles, two shell drawings and a portfolio to mash together!!  But I am being dramatic.  We do have all that to do, but it is over the course of two weeks - nothing that can't be handled if I do a little every day.

The muscles seems to be coming along better than before but that is hard to say for certain.  After "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" and "Galaxy Quest" (yes, I am, in fact, five years old) I had some muscles on the shoulder blade and half a forearm done.  That leaves about 3 movies left until I am finished!  There is something nice about putting the manikin together.  I never realized how many muscles there are in the body!  Although mine is not very accurate, it does give you an idea of the complexity of the human form and all the connections that are required to do the things that we do.  Even now while I type this you can imagine the tightening of so many muscles just to get these words on the page.


I have started taking a boxing class with a couple friends and it is nice that it correlated with Life Drawing class.  As I feel my muscles growing (and getting VERY sore) I am able to pinpoint some of them on the manikin and realize why they are the ones that are going through a growth spurt.  Hopefully some day I will be able to rattle off the latin names as well!

"AH!  I think I pulled my semimembranosous!!"

2 comments:

  1. ha! I would LOVE if you belted out some latin names of the muscles! your maniken looks GREAT! I have yet to start on the new list of muscles we got... kind of dreading it, in fact i'm procrastinating by posting on everyone's blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to "time to get in gear" I thought I was doing well keeping up and then... I think I strained the very muscles we were going to be building just writing down the list :) Oh well I could be working in a cubicle eight hours a day. :(

    ReplyDelete