Sunday, October 3, 2010

Not a Fan of Contour Drawings

As you may be able to gather from the title, I am not a fan of contour drawings.  I am not bad at putting muscles on the manikin and my figures in my gesture drawings only have torsos that are slightly too long, but I cannot wrap my mind around the contour.  My figure looks thick and heavy.  The subtlety of flesh is completely lost on me.  And the more I try the more I get frustrated.  Our teacher reminded us that we should not feel angry because these things would take time to learn, but I can’t help it. 

It is a little presumptuous to assume that I should have this down pat, but I would really like to get the curves down and see the form fill its space.  Ugh, I am just going to have to settle down and remember that practice makes perfect.

I wish I had more to write on this week, but I was only able to make it to one class period last week.  Life sometimes causes problems when you would rather it not, and I was forced to do some damage control.  Sorry to be vague (sounds like I am writing a coy facebook status), but let me assure you that it is not very exciting.  Just one of those times where a bunch of little things all stack up at once and if they were not dealt with tears would be inevitable.

So I vow to be patient with myself this week and stay motivated.  And no missing class!!

PS. One of my guy friends is very thin and has the amazing attribute of having the contour of every vein and muscle in his entire body visible on his skin. I think he would be so helpful in learning to draw the human figure!  Do you think after a case of beer and the promise that he can still wear boxers I will have a model for some extra practice?

1 comment:

  1. I agree contour drawings can be really challenging because it's hard to follow a line across the body. It's much easier to outline something than to draw an imaginary line to make a figure look like it has dimension.

    ReplyDelete