Monday, November 15, 2010

Shell Contour: The Sequel


So Tuesday we had to turn in the second attempt at our shell contour drawings.  Compared to the first, this one excelled in some areas and regressed in others. It is always hard when you try something new because (although you usually learn a lot) it rarely turns out as nice as if you had just played it safe.  I tried to be more dramatic with my perspective and give the contour lines a more organic feel.  The bumps on the cone are still giving me a hard time and you can see my perspective is a little off.

I was still able to keep from drawing the outline though, but I dislike how messy it looks. The first drawing was so clean and my attempt at a more active, sketchy style slightly missed the mark.  Also, I need to work on letting go of some of the details and focus more on the general movement of the form.  I get so wrapped up in getting all the bumps that the intensity of the shells curves is lost and the resulting drawing looks flat.

Oh well, that is why we are doing four right?  Rarely does someone get things right the first time.  So this shell is in the middle somewhere.  I do not yet have a grasp on this contour business, but I hope by not playing it safe I may better achieve a drawing I can be proud of!

No comments:

Post a Comment