Monday, November 1, 2010

Halfway Point!

So far it has been an interesting first half of the semester.  There has been a fair mix of success and frustration.  I have felt some improvements since the first day of class. It is easier to see the rib cage and draw the human form with less rigidity.  My contours are also improving and my line is becoming more confident.  At the same time I have a hard time abandoning shading in my drawings and the pelvis is still hard for me to confidently position.  I am hoping this will improve.  I would also like to add more dynamic motion in my gesture drawings.  Hopefully by becoming more familiar with the layout of the body I will be able to sketch it down more quickly and with greater intensity.

You can go here to see the work I have created so far this semester.


Here is the drawing I am most proud of so far.  I love the pull of her curves and (minus the head) it feels like one of the most proportionally correct drawings I have done so far.  Sadly, our professor was not a fan.  No shading.  Ever.  So that bummed me out.  So I started over and this was what I came up with.  It was done in about 20 mins was drawn with (although I may hate to admit it) a bit of contempt.  This is one of the hard parts about life drawing.  It is not about drawing the figure.  It is about drawing what is inside them.

1 comment:

  1. Annie! I LOVED your first drawing! I think it is so beautiful and I know you did too. I found myself shading one day in class once i actually and finally got my proportions correct of the model. It really helps bring her out and off the page, and it is fun to play with because thus far it has only been line drawing. The gesture drawings, and cross contour drawings have helped out a lot but I also agree that the mood of success and fail has been the top few emotions in class that run high most frequent feeling I feel the most in this class which. It's a feeling I didnt know that was possible.

    ReplyDelete