Tuesday, November 16, 2010

You put your right foot in, you put your right foot out . . .

Eek!  I think I forgot a blog in here somewhere!  Whoopsy daisy.  But that actually works out because we talked about feet last week and I TOTALLY forgot to mention it.

I was really happy that the feet lecture finally happened because I am the typical amateur artist where every person just happens to be balancing on their ankles and all the models got their hands removed at the wrists in some freak accident!  To be honest, hands and feet terrify me. (Drawing them, that is, . . . not in general.)  They always come out looking out of proportion and like they are made of clay.  So finding out what goes on inside them was SO helpful.  Basically your little tootsies are connected to long, curved cylindrical bones called metatarsals.  And the interesting thing is that your two smallest toes metatarsals are connected to a different part of the foot than the ones for your other toes.  So thus a little space is created there and that is why that part of the foot appears to be at a different angle.  BINGO!


So after getting all the technical jargon, out model hopped up on the chair and we honed in on everything from the knee down.  I was so proud of mine!  This is leaps and bounds ahead of where I was before!  My feet look like feet and not pudding-filled latex gloves!

I am still a little scared of the hands, but this has given me a lot of confidence.  Maybe, like the feet, the hands are not as hard as they look!

1 comment:

  1. I think your feet are very successful! (At least in the drawing, that is) :) The foot that was a straight on view was difficult for me, but you did it very well!

    ReplyDelete